Tuesday, July 15, 2008

On Motherhood


Yes, she is finally here! She made her appearance on June 18th at 11:09 PM. All sense of time was lost for me at that moment. I am finally getting used to the unusual sleep schedules, and feel a bit more like myself, but I can't get over how much I've changed in the last month. She has changed me. And so quickly. I didn't know that I would immediately become 'helen homemaker', but it happened! Gentlefolk, I have started to knit for her. If that isn't love, then I don't know what love is.
Tonight I realized that I feel like I have a family now. And having something so precious and hard won is very scary for me. I don't think I've ever felt like I have more to lose than I do now. I have never loved so completely, so quickly. I have never done so much for someone else without grumbling under my breath. I think I'm becoming a bit self-less! :) Unbelievable!
She is here beside me now, sleeping between her mommies. Her breath is light and fast. I can feel her slowly waking up, her body reacting to the pangs of hunger. I am honored to have her snuggled up to me even though I do not hold her blessed sustenance. She knows how to give me just enough attention to keep me thinking that I may have a chance of being a special someone to her one day. I hope that I am.
And I promise to her every day that I will try to be the best mother I can be for her. And that I will love her more with every breath, and until they stop, and even after that. Amen.

1 comment:

ohchicken said...

your fambly loves you more than anythings.